Information & Assistance Coordinator
She is available by appointment to discuss your needs and assist in determining the appropriate resources needed.
Call or email to make an appointment and discuss your needs.
Phone contact list of area resources. Click here to view and then print the list of area resources
Mysteries of Medicare: Help Paying for Medicare Part D and Part B
If you or someone you know has monthly income below about $3000 if married, or $2300 if single, you may be eligible for one or more of the following programs that help pay for Part D (prescription drug) coverage and in some cases Part B (medical) coverage:
- Low Income Subsidy (LIS), also known as Extra Help, reduces the cost of prescription drug coverage by reducing or eliminating Part D plan premiums, deductibles, and co-pays. It also eliminates the “donut hole.”
- The Medicare Savings Program (MSP) pays the Medicare Part B premium, and applicants in the lowest income and resource categories also get help with Part A and Part B deductibles and co-pays. Those eligible for any level of MSP are also automatically enrolled in LIS.
- LIS and MSP have resource as well as income limits. For Pennsylvania residents with low income, but with resources too high to qualify for LIS or MSP, the PACE/PACENET program helps pay prescription drug costs. This program has a very broad formulary, low co-pays, and no donut hole.
To find out more about these programs and your eligibility, contact an APPRISE counselor by calling Kennett Senior Center 610-444-4819 to set up an appointment.
You may also call the APPRISE helpline at 610-344-5004, or by email at email@example.com. APPRISE is Pennsylvania’s statewide program of free insurance consultation under the auspices of the Chester County Department of Aging Services and the State Health Insurance Assistance Program. Visit our website at http://www.chesco.org/477/Apprise-Health-Insurance-Counseling
How Information & Assistance Can Help!
A couple, Julie & Matt (fictional names) came for help completing the Pennsylvania Property Rebate form. While we were meeting I asked them if I could also use their income to check their eligibility for other resources. I found they would qualify for PACE. Pennsylvania’s prescription assistance programs for older adults, PACE and PACENET, offer low-cost prescription medication to qualified residents, age 65 and older. After describing the benefits including paying only $8.00 for some prescriptions, she agreed to apply.
On the day the PACE card arrived in the mail, Julie came to KASC. Julie asked me to cancel the card because she didn’t know what it was. Julie also said she needed to go to the pharmacy and pick up a prescription and pay $150. I was able to explain the benefit of keeping PACE and she paid $8 for her prescription. Quite a Savings!! Since Matt is a Veteran, I also requested enrollment forms for the VA in Coatesville and helped them complete the forms. I look forward to hearing about the VA benefits and services they receive.
Kennett Area Senior Center Provides These Services
- Assisted Senior Program
- Information and Referral Services
- LiHeap Energy Assistance
- Medicare \ Medicaid Counseling
- Rent Rebate Assistance – Deadline 12/31/18
- Senior Food Box (monthly from Chester County Foodbank)
- Tax preparation assistance (AARP)
- AARP Safe Driver Course
- Reading or filling out forms
Chester County Food Bank
Chester County Senior Food Box Program (CCSFBP)
This program that helps seniors gain access to nutritious foods so they can better improve their health. Each food box may contain: fruit, non-perishable proteins, vegetables, carbohydrates & dairy.
To qualify for the program, participants must be:
- 60 years or older
- Low Income
- A resident of Chester County, PA
Proof of age is required at sign up. There is no charge for this food. If you qualify, then the CCSFBP Box can be picked up on the 1st Wednesday of every month between 1pm-3pm. If you cannot pick up the box on this day or by the second week of the month, please call.
For more information contact Lizabeth Conners, 610-444-4819 x105